Thursday 13 August 2020

Home by Nnedi Okorafor

 

Home (Binti, #2)Home by Nnedi Okorafor
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A world in which to immerse oneself

This is a world of fascination, tradition, frustration, exultation. The world-building - incredible. Alien species that are so Other - not simply humanoid with a different set of cultures of values - that they are truly incomprehensible. The living ship that is pregnant - reminiscent of Moya in Farscape.

But beyond that, a world so foreign it is beautiful. The frustration of inter-personal dynamics. Our familial relationships that are fraught with irritation, too much in-depth knowledge, and yet, love... somewhere (I don't mind saying that I experienced outright anger at the way Binti's sister and "best friend" patronised her).

Sometimes, in my standard, daily, 21st-century existence, I vaguely wish for something different. A different life. And when I see a life like Binti's - or the one she is expected to lead - I'm glad I have my own. But then the lives of the Enyi Zinayira... they call to me. How wonderful that this author can make someone from a totally different lifestyle and culture to the humans in her book, feel as though they are living her character's life.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your say.

Remember kids: comments on posts older than 7 days are moderated.

Popular Posts