Wednesday 29 July 2020

The City Born Great by N.K. Jemisin

 

The City Born GreatThe City Born Great by N.K. Jemisin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Birthing of cities

Short but sweet, this is one of the best pieces I have ever read. The author's love of New York is clearly fierce, while acknowledging its faults. With an insider knowledge of the city that never sleeps, N. K. Jemisin weaves a tale that is fascinating, exciting and endearing all at once. The idea of a city using its suburbs in battle is new to me; but land feeling the lives and deaths of its inhabitants is not. This tale blends both, along with social themes (race, sexuality, homelessness, police brutality, gentrification), fantasy, and a good sprinkling of Eldritch horror. I rarely give five stars, but this novella deserves all of them. Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your say.

Remember kids: comments on posts older than 7 days are moderated.

Popular Posts