Tuesday 6 September 2011

Send me word from L-Space

I'm working on the design for my next tattoo - books are in my DNA - and in my searches for pictures that might capture the idea behind my design, I've been reminded of the beauty of L-Space and paranormal libraries.

L-Space - short for Library-Space - is "the ultimate portrayal of (Terry) Pratchett's concept that the written word has powerful magical properties on the Discworld, and that in large quantities all books warp space and time around them ... it is an extension of the aphorism 'Knowledge is Power'.". (from Wikipedia)

Since my tattoo will, at its core, be a representation of books streaming from L-Space, it brings me great pleasure to think of a huge, intra-dimensional library from which words are plucked to form stories in this and other worlds. 

I'm glad to note that I'm not the only one who has been fascinated by this concept. Writing At High Altitude has given her opinion on the potential of paranormal libraries, and she pointed me in the direction of Brenda Drake's book series Library Jumpers.

I'm intrigued by the concept of a virtual library, accessible wherever you may be, in time, space or thought. How amazing it would be to wish for a book, hold out your hand and draw it from another dimension. Imagine what could be out there, waiting for your fingertips to alight on it!

And then, of course, there's the chance to be a librarian ... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your say.

Remember kids: comments on posts older than 7 days are moderated.

Popular Posts