Thursday 20 October 2011

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


What can I say about this book that hasn't been said before? It's epic, far-reaching, hard-hitting and intriguing. At the same time, it's tedious in places, and the characterisation seems a little forced. Several times I wanted to smack Eddard Stark upside the head and shout "Are you even listening to yourself?" - the man is so blinded by his notion of honour that he lets the obvious slide right by. Still, I suppose if he hadn't, there wouldn't have been a story arc that resulted in one of my favourite reasons for reading fantasy - battle. Yes, call me shallow, but I enjoy the blood, guts and gore.

Speaking of shallow, there's a lot of it in this book, but that doesn't mean I could simply stop reading. I read whenever I had a chance, because I was so intrigued. The writing's a little stolid and unimaginative, and I can't put my finger on what captured my attention so strongly, but there it is. I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your say.

Remember kids: comments on posts older than 7 days are moderated.

Popular Posts